Wednesday, January 20, 2016

MY KIGALI DIARY - DAY 4

Chilling at K Club
As I woke up staring at her beautiful face, the reality of what had transpired the last eight hours dawned on me. It was supposed to be just a night out with the boys - Kelechi, Emmanuel , Toyosi and I - that saw us landing in one of Kigali’s best night clubs- K Club. It ended with me and Fiona heading to a hotel. 

As we entered the room, the smile on her face when we switched on the bulb could make a man's heart melt talk less of a man who was slightly tipsy courtesy of two bottles of Heineken. She tiptoed closer, drew her face close and I could feel my heart racing...

"Ufuoma, are you listening to all I've been saying," Jude barked at me as I jolted back to present day. It was 7:50 am in Kigali. Jude and I were in a cab heading back to our hotel after a wonderful night out at K Club the previous night. We've been friends on social media for over 5 years. My visit to Rwanda for the CHAN tournament afforded us a great opportunity to finally meet in person. 

Fiona and I
Jude and I had been discussing about Fiona, the pretty damsel I met at the club the night. I guess my thoughts just wandered around things I MAY have done some 20 months ago. Truth is, I had a busy morning schedule ahead of me. Fiona should be the least of my worries at that time, but for a split second, memories of her pretty face and gorgeous backside - a feature of most women in Kigali - came back again. 

Anyway, back to work. I had a call to receive in less than 10 minutes. I did that successfully in the cab as my colleague Khalela tried as much as possible to tease me live on 92.3 Nigeria Info PH about how much I was enjoying Rwanda. Before nko? I no go enjoy? Eh? Na me like work pass?  I almost divulged sensitive info about the K Club experience and then it hit me I was on a sports show.

Alakoba!


It was 8:30 am when I got my hotel. Jude and I exchanged our goodbyes as the cab took him to work and I rushed into my room immediately. By the way, hotel name is Sha Grilla situated on Stone Road, just opposite the Rwanda International Airport. More on my hotel later...

There was a 30 minute window between when I got into my apartment and my next call. I quickly edited 3 interviews I had done the previous night. Emailed them to the CoolWazobiaInfo group and thereafter called my colleague Arafat to inform him about email. 

CAF Accreditation Done. Happy Me
About 10 minutes later, I was live on Cool FM Abuja giving updates on issues involving Super Eagles. As soon as that was done, I breathed a sigh of relief. Hmmmmmm! What a start to my day! ....


Rest of the day went by smoothly. I finally got a mail from CAF that my accreditation was ready. Went down to Rwanda FA's building where CAF has a secretariat and collected mine. Job done!

Jollof Rice At UTC, Buffet Style
‘Twas already almost 3 pm. Traffic was a little heavy cos the Amavubi - Rwandan's national team was in action against Gabon. I was damn hungry as I had only had a tiny piece of bread and tea all day. I Headed straight to the United Trade Centre (UTC)- more like their own version of‎ Spar or Shoprite. The place has an open buffet joint. Just pay 2500 Rwadan Francs - that's just over 3 dollars or about 1000 naira) and take as much food as you can eat. Since my arrival in Kigali on Sunday, the open buffet joint (I'd have to find out its real name when I go there on today) is closest to Nigerian food I've seen. I took the last portion of Jollof rice left and sat down in the midst of Amavubi fans to watch the Rwanda/Gabon game. 
Amavubi Oye Fans Watching Their Team At UTC

2 hours later, got some groceries at the mall after lunch and headed home. I had had a long 3 days prior to today. 

Talking about those 3 days, I planned to start this Kigali Diary since Sunday. But somehow, I had the misfortune of misplacing my laptop at the airport just before I boarded the plane from Lagos to Kigali. Whether na over excitement of person way dey leave Naija for the first time I no no. But bottom line, my journey from Lagos to Kigali was already 2 hours 45 minutes gone when I shouted "Jesus" as a typical Naija person as soon as it dawned on me the laptop was missing.

Lady on my left was already asleep but the Kenyan on my right was forced to ask "what's the matter?" with that funny (that’s how it sounds to me) Kenyan accent. 

We had been discussing all through the journey and he really seemed like a cool guy. Anyway, I told him I had left my laptop at the Departure Lounge of Rwandan Air just before boarding the aircraft. I could see the genuine heartache he felt but losing my laptop turned out to be the beginning of my woes. 

As soon as I landed at the Kigali International Airport, it went from bad to worse..... 

To Be Continued.....





3 comments:

Ehjeerho said...

Fuma, I never knew you were such an interesting story teller. Wow, I enjoyed it.

Unknown said...

Nice story, I really want to know how you ended with that beautiful Fiona

Unknown said...

The FIONA part...did u get along with the backside?